PERMANENT SUB BUS DRIVER-Oakridge Public Schools
STATUS: Daily Assignment – Split Shift
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position e-mail a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Permanent Sub – Oakridge Public Schools” in the subject line of your email.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, August 9th, 2019
METS – Michigan Educational Transportation Services is looking for experienced school bus drivers or other pupil transportation professionals to fill a new position in the Oakridge Public Schools transportation department. The employee hired for this position will report daily for the AM route session and return for the PM route session each day that school is in session (see below):
• Permanent Sub (approximate hours daily during the school calendar)
o AM Shift: 5:30am – 9:30am
o PM Shift: 1:00pm – 5:00pm
The employee will arrive each shift prepared to drive any open bus route (due to the absence of the regularly assigned driver), and assist with additional transportation duties if all routes are covered.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Safe operation of a school bus or other transportation equipment in accordance with all applicable company policies, state and federal laws.
• Manage student behavior on the bus to maintain a safe environment in which students are able to arrive at school ready to learn.
• Conduct all pre-trip inspections as required.
• Navigate all daily routes within the district boundaries as well as successful navigation to trip locations outside of the assigned district.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Support the operation of the transportation department through efforts utilizing face-to-face, radio, telephone, email and other communication methods.
• Successfully interact with parents, students, community members and other staff in a courteous and professional manner to maintain a positive relationship between the transportation office and its constituents.
• Utilize a variety of computer based software programs in the daily operation of the transportation department including, but not limited to: transportation routing software, PowerSchool, Microsoft Excel & Word.
• Assist the transportation office staff with recruiting, training and enrollment efforts for new school bus driving candidates.
• Assist the transportation office staff with payroll, compliance and reporting.
• Type a variety of communication material from inception, rough draft or instruction, such as letters, memos, or bulletins for both internal and external viewing.
• Assist the mechanics and maintenance staff with duties as needed.
• Must be familiar or become familiar with all of the daily bus routes operated for Oakridge Public Schools.
• Maintain confidential information to ensure the privacy of students.
• Work as a team player, with a common team goal.
• Work with a variety of personalities, maintaining a calm and professional manner in all situations.
• Ability to tolerate stressful situations.
• Undergo pre-employment and random drug testing per DOT regulations.
• Ability to pass DOT physical requirements.
• Have and maintain an eligible driving record per all applicable company policies and state/federal laws.
• Must pass State and FBI Criminal Background Check per MDE regulations.
• Must obtain and maintain a valid Michigan Commercial Drivers License with valid P and S endorsements.
• Able to understand and have empathy for children and persons with disability.
• Must be a high school graduate or equivalent (GED).
• Punctuality and daily attendance are vital to this position.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Attention to detail and accurate record keeping (typing, filing, book keeping and other data entry and management).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, stoop, kneel and squat. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee works in a variety of positions while grasping and controlling various levers and devices. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision. Driving is necessary.
Hours: Approximately 6 hours per day or 30 hours per week
Work Calendar: This is a 10-month position with the scheduled hours above, maintained within the school calendar for the duration that students attend regularly scheduled classes. This assignment is inactive during the summer break.
Wages: $16.40 per hour (with previous pupil transportation experience), paid time off and approved expense reimbursement is available.
How to Apply: Email a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (please include “Permanent Sub – Oakridge Public Schools” in the subject line of your email) by Friday, August 9th, 2019. Interested applicants may call METS toll free at (888) 996-8586, for more information.